25 August 2007

Power Packing

I ate for lunch today two things. Baked sweet potato wedges with maple syrup/orange juice/ginger/curry sauce. Cold steamed kale with honey/lime/ginger/cilantro sauce. Oh my god it was good. I just ended enchilada week, partially due to my lactose intolerancy, and party because I ran out of fillings. Enchiladas are not light, fresh food. Instead they are metaphorical punches in the stomach. I hadn't noticed the effect so much thick and heavy vittles was having on me, but upon eating my simple lunch (sort of simple, at least), I felt the change. The change that comes from fabric softener, from a cold shower, and from spring (the season). That change felt good. I became instantly hungry less than two hours after the meal, but the hunger itself was already changing, already becoming something less snarling, less wolfish.

For dinner I prepared a quesadilla and beans, with salsa Taylor left me. That meal had the proper protein punch, but remained simple and not too thick. I believe that there is an uncharted realm of psychology where a single graph could show the qualities possessed by every meal. It would have hundreds of dimensions, but all would meet at a single axis. Thickness, spiciness, heat, oily nature, lightened, fresh, zing, umph, salt, height, area, toughness, volume etc. The list don't stop. Each graph is scaled proportionately to others, and all fits within a sphere, or a ball. The ball looks like a bouncy ball. If you bounce it, you don't know where it will head for. That is the power component. We must now calculate the effect of these multitudinous factors. The spring in your step. The medicine ball in your stomach.

1 comment:

Rhode Rider said...

so, jc, you may not remember me. i'm a kid--that kid--that lived down the hall from you when we were wee lil' freshman. i just stumbled across your blog. it's already fascinating to me.

i'll check back every day.

smuack!
pato